…urges the public to disregard any sponsored post against the Enugu State Commissioner for lands, Dr. Nnam
By Johnpaul Anih, 11-8-2020.
Responding to the earlier media reports wherein the Enugu State Commissioner for lands Dr. Chukwuemeka Nnam, were quoted to have been dragged to Court by the Attorney General of the Federation, Chief Vincent Ogbodo, an elder of Obeagu Awkunanaw has frowned at the purported media lies which he said, was targeted at tarnishing the image of the Commissioner and advise the general public to discountenance it.
“According to the customary laws of the people of Awkunanaw land and the customary rights of occupancy inherent in the people known and called OBEAGU AWKUNANAW/AMECHI UWANI AWKUNANAW all in Enugu State, land is sacred and the acquisition of same must fundamentally follow due process of both custom and laws. This is the main aberration the Invaders of our farmlands and ancestory home have failed to clarify in their desperate attempt to unlawfully take over our ancestory home and farmlands and at the same time malign and intimidate our illustrious son, Hon. Victor Nnam , Honourable Commissioner for Land and Urban Development , Enugu State.
It is no longer news that a certain business venture known as Private Estate International West African Limited have embarked on a desperate mission to illegally dispossessed the people of OBEAGU AWKUNANAW/AMECHI UWANI AWKUNANAW of their ancestry home and farmlands and thereby marketed the said entire area under the name “Enugu Lifestyle and Golf City – Centinary City “
However, the people of OBEAGU AWKUNANAW/AMECHI UWANI AWKUNANAW have rigorously exhumed and established some historical facts to buttress the fact that you cannot put something on nothing and expect same to stand.
It was during the administration of His Excellency Sen. Jim Nwobodo that an attempt was made by the old Anambra State Government to acquire about 318 hecters of Land belonging to the good people of OBEAGU AWKUNANAW / AMECHI UWANI AWKUNANAW.
According to the former Governor of old Anambra State , Chief Jim Nwobodo in a publication in support of the unrevoked Customary Right of Occupancy of the people of OBEAGU AWKUNANAW / AMECHI UWANI AWKUNANAW , the following historically verified facts have been established :
- Sen. Jim Nwobodo, during his tenure as the Governor of Anambra State proposed or attempted an acquisition of 318 Hectares of Land in Amechi/Obeagu and not 1097 Hectares of Land as purported in recent times.
- That the attempted acquisition was for an overriding public interest which was the proposed Anambra State University of Science and Technology (ASUTECH) permanent site and not for any private estate business venture.
- The Anambra State of Nigeria official Gazette No. 12 Vol. II of 27th March, 1986 is unlawful and invalid because, the Gazette was purported to have been signed in 1986 on behalf of Navy Captain Alison Amaechina Madueke as the Military Governor of Anambra State of Nigeria when in fact Navy Captain Alison Amaechina Madueke was not the Military Governor of Anambra State as at that time.
- That the Notice of revocation of Rights of Occupancy as contained in the Anambra State of Nigeria Official Gazette No. 12 Vol. II of 27th March, 1986 is ineffectual, void and of no effect as the Gazette did not have the authority of the then Military Governor of Anambra State, Samson Omeruah.
- That the same Notice of revocation of customary rights of occupancy was not served on the customary owners of the land as required in the Land Use Act.
- That publication on Gazette without more is not equivalent to service of the notice of revocation as required by law.
- That the Enugu State University of Science and Technology survey plan (PLAN EN(A)594) purported to have been made in 1985 is unreal, invalid and is not really made in 1985 because Enugu State was created in 1991 and Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT) was after the creation of Enugu State in 1991.
- That before the creation of Enugu State in 1991 the University was known as Anambra State University of Science and Technology (ASUTECH) and not Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT).
- That both the purported 1985 Enugu State University of Science and Technology (PLAN EN(A)594) and the Anambra State of Nigeria Official Gazette No. 12 Vol. II of 27th March, 1986 are unreal and invalid.
- That any acquisition, title, action, agreement, and or Certificate of Occupancy over the land made and or predicated on the Anambra State of Nigeria Official Gazette No.12 Vol. II of 27th March, 1986 and the purported 1985 Enugu State University of Science and Technology (PLAN EN (A) 594) when Enugu State was not in existence is invalid, null and void.
Obviously, the project known as Enugu Life Style and Golf City ( aka Centinary City) is founded on illegality, misinformation, deception, brutality and intimidation of customary owners of Land and therefore cannot stand.
This inglorious and selfish acquisition of OBEAGU AWKUNANAW/ AMECHI UWANI AWKUNANAW Ancestry Home and farmlands by some Shylock business men under the unincorporated business name of Private Estates International (WA) Ltd – Enugu Lifestyle and Golf City (Centenary City) cannot stand the scrutiny of posterity.
The indigenous people of OBEAGU AWKUNANAW/ AMECHI UWANI AWKUNANAW therefore commends Hon. Victor Nnam and the Enugu State Government for standing on the side of Truth, Honesty communal Peace.
The great people of OBEAGU AWKUNANAW/ AMECHI UWANI AWKUNANAW are aware of the recent desperate moves of the owners of Private Estates International (WA) to indict and incriminate our illustrious son, the Hon Commissioner for Land and Urban Development Enugu State, Hon. Surveyor Dr. Victor Nnam for attempting to write the grievous wrongs done to the indigenous people of OBEAGU AWKUNANAW / AMECHI UWANI AWKUNANAW and indeed the Administration of Land, generally in Enugu State.
This malicious persecution and or maybe Prosecution is another attempt to retain the illegal occupation of our farmlands and ancestory home by Private Estates International (WA) Ltd. This too shall not stand because it is based on falsehood and malice.
Chief Vincent Ogbodo writes from OBEAGU AWKUNANAW – AMECHI UWANI AWKUNANAW ancestry Homeland.